Friday, July 24, 2009

School Days



Well, it's been quite the week. My fellow teachers and I have had quite the emotional ride. The district has made some decisions in behalf of our school. They feel that our 4 grades will be split up. So the 5th and 6th grade are going to the Jr. High school and 3rd and 4th grade, which is me, are going to Willow... the k-2 school. I'll be out in a portable probably for the next 2 years. I'm sure that I'll make the best of everything with the help of my friends. The worst part is though that the insurance and the disaster team has not yet released the school to the district so I won't have any of my teaching files or manipulatives to begin school. So now I have to start rethinking how I'm going to begin and what do I need to do so. The district has been gracious enough to give us a good sum of money to go and buy some things to start. So...I guess I'll be off shopping in the next little while. We've made some phone calls to some companies of things we've used and they are graciously trying to help us replace some things. I've shed a lot of tears with losing 26 years of hard work. I don't think those who don't teach understand the time that I've put into making things I teach with. There is no amount of money that can replace that time and effort. However, I'm now looking ahead and am trying to think of what I need to get doing so that I'll be prepared for the children that I'll be teaching this year. I know that it will all work out and although it may not be my favorite year...it just might be a well remembered year of working together as teachers to make it one of the best! Maybe this will even make me a much better teacher...I hope it does.
This is faculty room where the fire began



There's my stuff


Looking in to see how my stuff survived


My classroom


2 comments:

  1. And I thought that my day was unfair! Now I feel petty! How horrible to lose your work in a fire. That is one of my greatest fears. As a teacher, I do understand exactly what you mean when you say no amount of money can replace the time and effort. We wish you the best as you work to piece life back together. If there is anything that you need from me, let me know. I am positive our 4th grade teacher would be more than happy to share files, etc. I guess buying new stuff could be fun :) We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Patsy, so sorry about the fire. I hope that you can get things ready for school in time. You are an amazing teacher. I have personally seen it back in the day when I used to come help in your room. We love you and hope that everything works out for the best. Love you!

    ReplyDelete